Monday, March 25, 2013

Creative Combos: Just for Me

sweater: gift, dress: nordstrom rack, boots: forever young shoes, belt: macy's (old), necklace: sam moon (similar)

One of my passions and something that brings me a great deal of joy in life is singing. I've been doing it my entire life. My mom has a recording of me singing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star in perfect pitch at 19 months old to my newborn sister. I sang in choirs all throughout elementary, middle, and high school, even participated (and won a few, might I add) in contests and county level competitions. It was always kind of my thing- I'm Kensie and I love to sing. 

Since graduating from high school, I haven't had hardly any opportunities to do it. I sing to my children, of course, and I sang to my husband at our wedding reception (yeah, like you didn't do anything corny at your reception), but other than that, I've been silent. 

Enter one of my best friends- Wex. She has hosted a few open mic nights that I've had the opportunity to participate at. At her most recent one, we were able to collaborate on a couple songs, which couldn't have been more of a blast. The weekend after that, her friend hosted another open mic night and we were able to squeeze in and perform there as well. I posted the recordings of our performance online and we've been asked to participate in a showcase at one of my favorite restaurants next month! I'm so freaking stoked!

The point of all of this is that I am so grateful to Wex for not only inviting me but pushing me to do something for myself that makes me happy. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't have picked up singing again and I wouldn't be as happy as I am now. I am so grateful and blessed to have her in my life. 

My other point is how important is to do something just for you. It is so difficult with all the responsibilities we have as mothers and wives and homemakers to make time for ourselves, not to mention viewing it as a priority. But singing or massaging or whatever it may be that you enjoy is just as important as dishes or bathing that messy 2-year-old. I become more enjoyable and much easier to be around when I make the time to enjoy my hobbies. I am a happier person. It becomes more enjoyable to play with my children or cuddle with Mitch or do laundry (okay, maybe that one's a lie. Laundry will never, I repeat NEVER be enjoyable.) 

My challenge for you is to find (or make) some time this week to do something just for you. Work on a hobby you have set aside for too long. Read a couple chapters of your favorite book in a hot bath. Whatever it is, do it. The sentiment is so true that a happy woman makes a happy home. Allow yourself to be that happy woman. 

No comments:

Post a Comment