Friday, April 5, 2013

Homemade Deodorant

I have to apologize for arguably the longest hiatus ever. My family was in town last week and then I spent the better part of this week getting back in the swing of things, but now I'm back and ready to report on my latest homemade project.

I know- this may seem like I'm taking the homemade thing a little to the extreme, but when you see how simple it is to make, you just might reconsider.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a One Good Thing by Jillee groupie, but she's got some great homemade products! I found this recipe on her blog (go figure) and she says that the reason we get underarm stains is because of the aluminum in regular deodorants. So this deodorant theoretically eliminates armpit stains! How great is that? So there would be absolutely no need for the underarm stain remover I wrote about a couple weeks ago. I haven't had a chance to test this on a new white shirt yet, but when I do, I'll update you on how it goes.

Homemade Deodorant

1/4 cup baking soda

1/4 cup corn starch

5 tbsp coconut oil

I mixed the baking soda and corn starch together and then heated up the coconut oil in the microwave for about 45 seconds. Once it melted, I added the coconut oil in a little at a time until I got a thick paste.




The consistency is a tiny bit gritty, like you would expect anything with baking soda in it to be, but it's really not bad at all. You apply it like you would lotion- but on your armpits. As a deodorant, I found it very effective (no BO for this gal), but I'm not crazy about rubbing it in with my hands. I think next time I'll try Jillee's other recipe for a solid deodorant. I promise to let you know how that goes when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment