Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pinterest Challenge #3: Sweater Revamp

sweatshirt: target (old), chambray: pacsun (shop), jeans: charlotte russe (shop), flats: thrifted, necklace: sam moon (shop)

I don't want to disappoint anyone because I know some of you were excited about the Asos sweater knockoff, but I was really more inspired by that tutorial than anything. I never actually planned to spell out 'bonjour' or use freezer paper or even fabric paint, but I think that that's the best part about all the blogs out there- see what they did, feel inspired and do your own little spin on it. So here is what Merrick inspired me to do.

I have this sweatshirt that I got from Target years ago off the clearance rack for around $3. It is the comfiest sweatshirt! I've definitely worn this thing out, but I can't make myself get rid of it so I decided its time for a makeover. Before I could do anything, I had to de-fuzzball the whole thing. After 2+ years, it was pretty bad. I've seen sweaters with a big heart on it all over the place recently (like here and here) and I loved it so I decided that was the pick-me-up my sweatshirt was asking for (the big grease stain right in the middle helped persuade me as well.) 

I used a white pencil and eyeballed the shape and size of the heart on my sweater. After I got it the way I wanted, I used a fine tip paintbrush to go over the outline with acrylic paint in charcoal. I then filled it in with a sponge brush and let it dry before going over it with another layer of paint.

Quite honestly, we may have to chalk this one up to a learning opportunity. I probably should have just sucked it up and bought fabric paint. It came out very uneven and the texture is really rough, but I actually might like the look of it a little bit (I haven't quite decided yet.) And I haven't given up- I think I might still be able to salvage this one. I've got a few ideas up my sleeves of how to fix this.

Do you have any creative suggestions on how to fix it?

1 comment:

  1. Cute. I LOVE your hair that color! It is my favorite color that you do!

    ReplyDelete