Monday, February 25, 2013

Pinterest Challenge #1: DIY Dry Shampoo

For my first Pinterest Challenge project, I decided to give dry shampoo a try.  I had an experience a couple months ago that turned me off to store-bought dry shampoo.  I literally used it once and it was out.  I don't know what I could have possibly done wrong, but anything I did shouldn't have used it all up! What a waste of money!  So when I came across this DIY method on Pinterest, I was sold.  And the best part- its only two, cheap ingredients that I already have around my house.



DIY Dry Shampoo

1/4 cup corn starch

1/4 cup baking soda



Mix the ingredients together and put it in the container/dispenser of your choice. Thats it!  Super simple, right?

I used an old sugar shaker I had just laying around.  My method for applying it is a little different from the norm. The sugar shaker would dump out WAY too much to pour it right on my head, so I shake some out on a clean, flat surface (I usually use the back of my hand-held mirror) and I use a big powder brush to pat it onto my scalp. Different, I know, but it works for me!


Now I know what you're thinking- "Why the heck does her dry shampoo look red?" Well, I'll tell you. My only problem with the original recipe is that its white, which is fine, but it doesn't look great against my red hair, so I did my own little addition to the recipe to try to get it closer to my hair color. I had no idea what a process that was going to be.  I started with an old matte bronzer. REALLY orange and not a great look on my pale skin, so I broke it up with the back of a spoon and mixed it in.  This gave me a very light peachy shade. So then I tried a couple more things. I put a in a little cinnamon, but I didn't want my hair to reek of it, so I changed tactics.  I found some other old bronzer and that got it a little closer, but not enough. My last ditch effort was paprika. I was super nervous about this one but it really doesn't have too much of a smell and, after mixed in, the cinnamon covered up any hint of a smell that there might have been. So now I have a dry shampoo that is sort of a deep, dusty salmon color.  Hey, its not bright red, but its better than white. I'll take it.


After putting it to the test, I have to say I am happy with it.  I've been trying to wash my hair less often so it will be healthier and this little product makes it so easy to get through those more oily days. The baking soda and corn starch work together to soak up all of the extra oil and its a lot easier to mask that I've used it with the color.

3 comments:

  1. You're so brave! If you can manage before & after pics of your hair that'd be awesome :-)
    www.dimplesandpigtales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a good idea, Amber! I'm getting my hair done tonight, but in a couple days when my hair gets super oily, I'll post an update. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Hm, I hadn't seen this on pinterest, but it looks like a cool project! Might have to try it out!
    Jillian - http://epic-thread.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete