Wednesday, April 17, 2013

DIY Makeup Brush Cleaner

I've started to notice a trend in my life- the more boys I have and the longer I have them, the girlier I become. I think I'm just trying to balance out all of the insect flashcards and laughter when poop is mentioned. Anyway, with my ever increasing girly-ness comes more makeup. Okay, maybe not more makeup per se, but definitely makeup more often. I've also developed a good little army of makeup brushes that require some thorough cleaning with my increase in makeup application. I've tried a couple different recipes and I really liked this one. Anne-Marie posted this recipe over on The Beauty Book.


Makeup Brush Cleaner:

3 parts antibacterial soap (I just used the Dawn dish soap I had on hand)

1 part olive oil


I used the same technique she described in her post- get the brush wet, get some of the makeup brush cleaner on the brush and stroke back and forth on the palm of your hand. Do the same thing under running water to rinse it. 


Anne-Marie recommends wiping off the handles of your brushes as well. I used one of my new homemade, reusable, knock-off Clorox wipes (tutorial to come soon). You can see all the makeup that was just hanging out on my brush handles. 


I hung the bristles of my brushes over the edge of my desk so the water doesn't sit on the hairs and form mildew or eat away at the adhesive holding it all together. 


I really like this method. With this recipe, I KNOW that my brushes are getting squeaky clean and I'm eliminating any bacteria that might have started to lay down some roots.

What's your makeup brush cleaning method?


No comments:

Post a Comment