Wednesday, May 8, 2013

DIY Scented Plug-Ins *FAILURE*


I was super excited about this project. With 2 boys in diapers, we need all the air freshening we can get. Needless to say, this was definitely a disappointment. I almost didn't share this experience with you guys, but I thought about it and decided that I would. We all have times when things don't go exactly according to plan and that is nothing to be embarrassed about. Who knows; maybe you have an answer to what I did wrong or why this didn't work out and I can fix my mistake in the future. 

I found this idea on Pinterest and it led me to this blog giving directions to re-use the plug-ins I had laying around my house. It also briefly covered the dangers of the ingredients in store-bought plug-in air fresheners (I had NO idea!). So I was all for giving it a go. You can find the directions I followed here

Theoretically, it's a great idea and they did spread their lovely scent around for a day or so, but then this happened:


Maybe it was the brand of plug-ins I used, I don't know, but after a couple of hours, the liquid inside the little glass bulb part started changing colors. Then the wick swelled up and took on this scary dark color. It made me really nervous and it didn't say anything about this happening in what I read so I unplugged them. They might be totally safe, I have no idea, but until I hear otherwise, these are staying away from my outlets. 



Have you had any DIY failures recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment